“If you want to be happy, be.” Leo Tolstoy
Feeling sad, depressed or unhappy? Does life look gloomy, and the world seems dreary? Try one of the following tested and proven tips to achieve an instant shift in your emotions and feelings:
1. Be grateful for the things you usually take for granted…
- Being alive and healthy
- For the basic stuff: food, water, clothes, shelter, electricity…
- Your skills: reading, writing, thinking, driving, writing, and other
- People in your life: family, friends, people you love, people who love you, those who had a positive influence in your life
2. Make someone happy…
- Compliment people: for their appearance, intelligence, skills…
- Appreciate others: for what they do for you, for their helpfulness… your family, co-workers and others; say ‘thank you’
- Listen without interrupting, without offering advice, without judging
- Offer help: your seat on the bus for the elderly; to your co-workers; fill up forms for someone
- Call someone you haven’t spoken to in years: that aunt or the old friend or that teacher
3. Think good thoughts…
- All the good things that have happened in your life, all the difficulties you were able to overcome
- Your achievements of the past, big or small
- Forgive people who have ever hurt you, intentionally or unintentionally
- Imagine yourself overcoming the challenges, conquering your biggest fears, achieving your dreams
4. Do something different – surprise yourself and others…
- Spend a little bonus time with your family
- Switch off the mobile phone when you get home
- Make time for yourself: read, breathe, think
- Break a routine about food or TV or computer or anything
- Buy flowers or a gift or a card for the one you love, without any occasion
“If you are not happy here and now, you never will be.” Taisen Deshimaru
What do you do when you are sad or unhappy? Please share your own tips for happiness through comments.
[Photo of a happy cobbler taken in a market in Mash’had, Iran]
6 thoughts on “4 Tips for Instant Happiness!”
speak to someone who can make my mood better instantly by a small joke or a smile or i read the happy entries in my diary and feel thankful for all those happy moments and remind myself of my dream and how happy I would be the day i achieve my dream!
yeah . agreed………. happiness is actually inside us…. we forget good things happening to us and start noticing negative ones………. ur words always help :)) thanx MUSH, after having LUNCH with u with my team and listening to u made a positive difference in my thoughts and ultimately in my life.. JAZAKALLAH 🙂
instant happiness is $$$ and the word is Public speaking in Changing lives & Enhance Life.
Repeat everyday I am always truthful, positive and helping others 🙂 Its a happy new day!
When I was having a hard time, I drew this circle of 12 happiness tips. I ended up making an interactive flash animation about it and you can check it out through my name link (Marvel). I think the most important of them is smiling at yourself in the mirror and reminding yourself that you need to be your own best friend, not your worst enemy.
Thanks, Marvel. Just saw your animation and shared on my FB too – very nice!