I lost my job today! Few immediate negative thoughts:
- How could they do that to me? I’ve been working here for over 16 years!
- What will I do now? There aren’t many opportunities in my specialized field and my set of skills!
- How long can I survive without a job? The mortgage, bills, kids… and the bigger dreams!
- Why did it happen at the worst possible time?
Fortunately, there were a lot more positive thoughts that followed:
- Most dynamic companies go through restructuring, reorganizing and cost-cutting. Nothing personal!
- Thousands of people lose their jobs every day around the world – there are over 197 million unemployed people. This is part of working life and can happen to anyone, any time.
- There are endless opportunities if I look with an open mind, and beyond my current industry!
- It’s an exciting challenge, and I am totally ready for it. I must stay focused, continue to believe and dream.
- The timing couldn’t be better! I’ll be 48 in a few weeks. It’s time to do something even more exciting!
And looking back, I felt even more grateful and excited that my job had allowed me to learn so many new things, develop different skills, almost master the art of training, travel the world, see amazing places, meet wonderful people… and above all, make a difference in the lives of so many people in so many places! My job is gone but all of that will stay with me forever! And all of that has prepared me for the next phase of my life.
“When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change. At such moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back…” -Paolo Coelho
Please feel free to share your words of support and encouragement through comments.
Update (17th March): Thank you for such kind, nice, wonderful, amazing, surprising messages! I am deeply touched by your love. And also under a lot of pressure to do something big 🙂 I have no issues with the company, and do not wish to hear anything negative.