I just heard one of the best TED talks about conversations. Celeste Headlee covers everything I try to include in my 1-3 hours of training on communication skills, and even more, in just 12 minutes!
The ten tips are:
- Don’t multi-task. Be fully present.
- Don’t pontificate. Set aside your personal opinions.
- Use open-ended questions.
- Go with the flow. Let your own thoughts come and go.
- If you don’t know, say you don’t know.
- Don’t equate your experience with theirs. It’s not about you.
- Don’t repeat yourself.
- Stay out of the details.
- Listen! Be interested.
- Be brief.
I also loved these quotes from the talk:
- “If your mouth is open, you are not learning.” -Buddha
- “No man ever listened his way out of a job.” -Calvin Coolidge
- “Most of us don’t listen with the intent to understand; we listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen Covey