Just read this wonderful piece in What On Earth Have I Done? by Robert Fulghum – one of my all-time favorite authors…
I have a list in the active pocket of my mind. A list I often refer to when thrown into the company of strangers while traveling. The list is labeled Conversation Lifeboats:
- Did you ever have a great teacher – in school or out? Tell me.
- What would you be learning – if you had time?
- What would you have learned to do if you knew then what you know now?
- What would you teach, if you were asked?
- Teach me something. Anything.
- Do you know any silly tricks? Coins, cards, face contortions?
- If you could be an eyewitness to some event in history, which one?
- If you could see anyplace in the world before human history, where would you go and why?
- Who would you like to see naked?
- Who do you admire? Who admires you?
- Answer an unasked question – something you know but nobody would ever ask about and you would never volunteer.
- Decisions of consequence – what forks in the road were on your way – and what if you had taken the other path?
- Pick another place/time in modern history – since 1700 – to live.
- Book, movie, you’ve read/seen more than once. Why? Continue reading