Have you ever been inspired by Nelson Mandela’s stories of the struggle for freedom, his perseverance over the 27 years in prison, his reforms during presidency, or the 250 awards he received over the last 40 years? You can read more about his inspiring life in his book, Long Walk to Freedom, or in this summary at Wikipedia. Today is Mandela’s 94th birthday, and the Nelson Mandela’s International Day. Here’s my selection of ten quotes by Mandela, starting with the one I find the most inspiring:
- There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
- A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
- After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.
- Does anybody really think that they didn’t get what they had because they didn’t have the talent or the strength or the endurance or the commitment?
- Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
- If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.
- It always seems impossible until its done.
- Money won’t create success, the freedom to make it will.
- There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children.
- We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.
Which one did you like best?
[Photo of Cape Town City Hall, taken during my trip in December 2011. This is where Mandela gave his first public speech after being released from the prison.] Another related post.