While packing for the move, I saw some of my childhood pictures that reminded me how scared I used to be, of so many things – darkness, loneliness, dogs, water/drowning, heights and more. And I realised how so many people go through their entire lives with one or more fears. That inspired this blog post. Sorry, no ‘Mush Talks‘ this Sunday.
I am not an expert on overcoming fears, but have successfully applied a simple strategy for anything I was scared of: Jump right in. That’s what made it possible not only to overcome many of the fears, but enjoy some of the most memorable adventures like scuba diving, skydiving, zip-lining, swimming with whale sharks etc. I hope these quotes and the skydive video inspire you to overcome at least one of your fears. If they don’t, then just jump right in!
- There is no illusion greater than fear. Lao Tzu
- The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. Nelson Mandela
- He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life. Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Fears are educated into us, and can, if we wish, be educated out. Karl Augustus Menninger
- Fear: False Evidence Appearing Real. Unknown
- I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today. William Allen White
- Fear is only as deep as the mind allows. Japanese Proverb
- Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold. Helen Keller
- The enemy is fear. We think it is hate; but, it is fear. Gandhi
- Courage is not the absence of fear. It’s the ability to act in the presence of fear. Bruce Lee
You may view some more of my travel videos here.