I shared a table with an old wise man while having coffee today. After telling me a lot about himself, he asked me the two questions that I think every Chinese asks every non-Chinese in Hong Kong: How long have you lived in Hong Kong? And do you speak Cantonese? My answers are: More than 10 years, and no. David went on to ask the dreaded question: Why not? I explained why it’s never been my priority. He then offered the most profound advise: Just learn two new words every day!
Achieving big goals through small steps has long been established as a success principle. Imagine what could happen if every day we
- exercised for just half an hour
- replaced just one unhealthy snack with a healthy one
- walked down the stairs instead of taking the elevators just once
- spent just 15 minutes to breathe, or think, or unplug, or pray
- noticed just five good things in our day/life
- complimented just one person, or said one thank-you, or one I-love-you
- saved just x$ for that special something or that special someone
- read one useful piece of information or inspiration
- took one small step towards one of our goals
It all starts with one small step! What will be yours?